Chat Before You Pat®
Dog Safety Sessions For Kids & Parents
A Dog Safety Campaign Designed To Keep Both Kids & Dogs Safe
The “Chat Before You Pat™” campaign is a dog safety information session targeted at both children and parents and is designed to increase child safety around dogs. Chat Before You Pat™ was founded by Dog Trainer & Behaviourist Charlotte Bryan in 2019.
Read more below or visit the Chat Before You Pat™ Official Website.
Dog Safety Sessions For Children
Education sessions are available to children from Prep to Year 4.
Each session is 20-30 minutes in duration and involves hands-on practise with our soft toy dogs (so that even kids that are scared of dogs can practise approaching dogs).
What will each session cover?
- Read a dog’s body language (angry, sad, scared and happy dogs)
- What to do before you approach a dog
- How to approach a dog correctly
- When not to approach a dog – the do’s and don’ts
- What to do if the dog starts off happy and suddenly becomes scared or angry
- Safety around dogs you know
Dog Safety Information Sessions For Parents
- Education information sessions are available for parents.These information sessions are designed to educate parents on how to teach safety around dogs to their child.Each session is between 45 minutes to an hour in length and covers:
- Statistics on dog incidents involving children
- Why these incidents are occurring
- What we can do to prevent them
- How to read dogs (aggressive, fearful, happy etc)
- Apps to help
- How children should approach dogs
- When children should not approach dogs
- Safety around familiar dogs (dogs you already know)
We visit schools, kindergartens, daycares and other educational institutes. We visit classrooms with a fun and interactive kids education session (approx. 30 mins) and provided informative educational sessions for parents after school hours (approx. 45 mins to one hour) – includes Q & A time.